the painted surface
Distressed and Painted Wood Shelves
As seen these wood shelves are still quite useful but the owners wanted a new look for them and they chose to distress and paint the shelves. This article was submitted by a reader and we would like to share their tips and painting techniques they used to achieve the desired look.
- We took the wood shelves completely apart before refinishing.
- Lightly sanded the wood shelves with medium grit sandpaper just enough to take the shine off.
- Sanded each wood shelf again with a finer grit of sandpaper.
- Wiped clean with damp cloth.
- Took a chain and hit each wood shelf in several places just to distress and put in a little character.
- Painted 1 coat of Kilz low odor primer.
- Painted 1 coat of black paint.
- Sanded the wood shelves lightly with fine grit sandpaper.
- Screwed an eyelet screw into the end of each slat and hung them outside to spray the white paint.
- Sprayed each slat with about 3 coats of gloss white spray paint.
- Sanded with 120 grit sandpaper to reveal the black undercoating.
- Applied about 3 coats of polyurethane for protection after the white paint had dried.
More helpful painting tips, techniques and how-to articles can be found by following these links:
Pantone 2016 Color of the Year ◊ Sherwin-Williams 2016 Color of the Year ◊ How To Paint a Room ◊ How To Paint a Stairway ◊ How To Paint a Two-Story Room ◊ How To Choose Colors ◊ Six Step Color Choice ◊ Popular Color Ideas ◊ How To Choose Paint ◊ Tools ◊ How To Caulk ◊ How To Patch a Hole ◊ How To Patch a Crack ◊ How To Cut In a Wall or Ceiling ◊ How To Roll a Wall or Ceiling ◊ How To Paint Woodwork ◊ How To Paint a Window ◊ How To Paint Baseboard ◊ How To Paint a Door ◊ How To Paint Crown Moulding ◊ How To Paint Kitchen Cabinets ◊ How To Choose a Premium Paintbrush ◊ How To Paint a MDF Bookcase ◊ How To Paint Aluminum or Vinyl Siding ◊ How To Paint Over Faux Finishes ◊ How To Use Magnetic Paint ◊ How To Use FrogTape ◊ How To Paint Repair Water Damaged Drywall ◊ Hiring a Contractor ◊ Paint Stripper Safety ◊ Painting Louvered Shutters ◊ 2013 Color Trends ◊ Choosing Front Door Colors
More details about specific painting subjects are covered in the additional articles. In those will be found details, painting tips and techniques gathered from over 20 years of painting experience. Here is a list of links to the articles: